[Cialug] July Meeting: ComSec Strategies

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Thu Jul 18 00:04:40 CDT 2013

On 7/17/13 10:58 PM, Scott Yates wrote:
> Yes, it was a lot of fun.  My takeaway was that for some value of
> "privacy", things are already beyond where it makes much sense to encrypt
> everything.  I think it might make more sense to start generating "outlier"
> traffic to make all this signal gathering much noisier, and less
> statistically meaningful.
>
> Garbage in - garbage out.

I was tied up and would have liked to have soaked up everything presented.

I’m not too keen on loading up the Internet with garbage - there’s
already enough of that. OTOH, I think a quality encryption protocol
could consume enough snooper computer (even quantum computer) cycles to
discourage indiscriminate surveillance.

This past week I took a shot at writing some privacy-preserving code and
this evening uploaded some of my building blocks, a quick and dirty test
program, and console snapshot to provide ideas for anyone interested in
playing with code. The web page is at http://www.iedu.com/Documents/Privacy/

Earlier, I used the logic in the 'building blocks' to encrypt/decrypt
using 8192-bit keys - where the actual encryption key was derived from
data 'randomly' extracted from an image file. :-)