[Cialug] July Meeting: ComSec Strategies

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Mon Jul 15 00:55:23 CDT 2013

Registered at dyn.com (the original dyndns company) using their secret registration option.  When I registered my first domain with them, I opted for secret registration.  They place the secret registration option prominently in the signup process, explaining how your address and other information will be visible to everyone, and I remember getting junk mail from people when I registered a domain back in the late 90s.  They charge an extra $10/yr for it, so it seems that anyone who is registering a domain for personal use would be fairly likely to opt in (except that their domain registration prices aren't the cheapest, so adding an extra $10/yr kinda hurts).

It's not "really" secret... it is registered in the name of a holding company of sorts and that company keeps your information so that important correspondence is able to be forwarded to you.  They just sort of stand in the middle and filter out the spam.  And hopefully not the offers to buy your domain for obscene amounts of money...

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer