[Cialug] Ubuntu 12.10 - Grub editor

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Sat Jan 26 20:20:44 CST 2013

In /etc/grub.d (I think that's the dir?) there should be a file called something like 40_custom, which is where you are supposed to add custom entries to the grub menu.  You might notice that there is also a file in that directory that is labelled something about searching for other OSs, and it is a script that searches your hard drives for other OS installs and adds entries for them automatically (supposedly, anyway).  If your Windows install is UEFI/GPT and your Ubuntu install is BIOS/MBR, or vice versa, then one or the other will not be detected.

Grub2 really is a pain... you can't read or edit the config files without a computer science degree.  I haven't done a whole lot of editing with Grub2 stuff other than changing the boot parameters so that I get a 1920x1080 at 24bpp text console, and to do that I had to edit /etc/default/grub.conf (or something like that?).

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer