[Cialug] Good uses for smaller disks?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jan 2 19:27:14 CST 2013

On Dec 31, 2012, at 9:06 PM, Dave Hala Jr <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:

> We all hate to waste stuff, but it just isn't worth the effort. How much
> power does it take to run another old freenas box with a big pile of old
> mismatched hardware?  Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age... but
> unless you need some extra hardware for an experiment, it just isnt
> worth it.

Agreed 100%. I've estimated the cost of an older computer (5 yo) at $7-12/mo if run all the time. I don't think a freenas with 400GB would be that useful to me, especially considering that three drives in a raid 0 is not going to be durable enough for trusting anything important to. Definitely not worth ~$100/year. (730 hrs * 0.12 kw * $0.085 /kwh = $7.45/mo = $90/yr)

One of the things that is most precious is time, and therefore wasting it is the most painful. Taking apart a running server to load disks into it in order to run dban on the disks is time consuming. I'd rather just destroy them which can be done in about a minute.
--
Matthew Nuzum