[Cialug] NetBeans on Flash Drive

Todd Pierce toddcpierce at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:56:24 CST 2013

Crew,

This is not exactly on topic (linux) but I'm in a bit of a bind with
NetBeans and you're the smartest people I know.

A guy hired me to develop a Java app and the best approach seems to be to
develop it using NetBeans (7.2.1).  The bind is that I'm not only homeless,
but I have generally gotten into the habit of working off of a flash drive
using whatever Windows machine is convenient.  Lots of decent software
works perfectly well when installed on these things... except NetBeans.

When I start NetBeans I get the opening screen, it reports it can't open a
lot of modules then simply goes away.

I'm going to dive in deep and hunt around the Web (and config files) for
solutions to this, but since hundreds of dollars (which could get me off
the street) hinge on this, I figured I'd plant this idea in your heads in
case someone has ideas that stop me from barking up wrong trees or killing
my brain unnecessarily before I even get to start the project.

Any help you guys can offer is appreciated.

Sincerely,

-Todd