[Cialug] group banking/membership proposal

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Thu Feb 7 09:01:39 CST 2013

I agree as well, but i haven't paid dues in years so i'm not a member
and thus my opinion probably doesn't count.  :)

As for how to deal with the issue of not having enough members to vote
on a change, i have one idea. I was previously involved with an
organization that had the same problem. So what we did is staged a coup
and adopted a new Articles of Incorporation that was basically the old
Articles but with some of the voting and membership rules tweaked so as
to allow votes to proceed even without the presence of our many inactive
members. I guess we essentially retired the old organization and started
a new one with the same name and membership, and some slight changes in
management. CIALUG is small enough that maybe a similar process could
work.

On 2013-02-05 at 17:19:49, kristau wrote:
>I agree with this proposal.
>
>On Feb 5, 2013 2:54 PM, "Barry Von Ahsen" <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:
>> at the last meeting, I mentioned moving away from Wells Fargo as our
>> bank.
>>
>>  however, after further thought, I'm not sure that we even have a
>>  need for
>>
>> a bank
>> * we only collect dues once a year, and from only about a dozen
>> people * we only make one deposit a year (of the dues)
>> * our expenditures are almost exclusively bank fees
>>
>> taking it to the next (semi)logical step, the only reason we have a
>> bank is because of dues, and the only reason we have dues is for
>> membership.
>>
>>  however, there isn't much benefit from membership, and very little
>>
>> distinction between members and non-members (members have the
>> ability to vote in the election and the ability to decline a
>> nomination)
>>
>> therefore, I propose:
>> * eliminate the dues-paying membership distinction
>> * close the bank account
>> * divest the funds we currently have
>>
>> I propose this for discussion now on the mailing list, and if there
>> isn't overwhelming opposition, I'll propose it for vote during the
>> elections next meeting (Feb 20)
>>
>> now, according to our bylaws, we need a simple majority of members
>> to pass this proposal, but based on membership precedent, there
>> won't be any members next month (except for the couple that renewed
>> last month) - the irony being we need members to pay to vote to
>> make it unnecessary to pay.
>>
>> so my precursor proposal would be:
>> * extend membership by a month for the purposes of voting on this
>> issue * if the issue passes, refund the dues paid last month (if
>> that member wishes so)
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu