[Cialug] RFC & best practices for mail server hostnames?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri Feb 1 12:22:59 CST 2013

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Nicolai wrote:

> > Is RFC2821/3.6 the governing document?
>
> No.  The order to follow is:
>
> 821, obsoleted by
> 2821, obsoleted by
> 5321

Excellent - thanks!

> Are you talking about a subdomain with an MX record containing an IP
> address, or a random machine, with no MX record, that lacks A/PTR records?
> Either way it's wrong.

No, I'm talking about the hostname passwd with EHLO - StateFarm is not
sending a hostname, and our mail servers reject the email:

Feb  1 12:25:03 mx2 postfix/smtpd[21534]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
mail41.statefarm.com[205.242.229.166]: 450 <bp75avo2.opr.statefarm.org>:
Helo command rejected: Host not found;
from=<___________ at statefarm.com> to=<lvl at omnitec.net> proto=ESMTP
helo=<bp75avo2.opr.statefarm.org>

Trying to isolate the Hostname requirement in the RFCs, and hopefully
provide citations to try and get them to fix the problem.

	Lee