[Cialug] Need assistance with chown and find commands

Sean Flattery sean.r.flattery at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 13:09:48 CST 2013

I used to admin an office with Macs and Windows with a Linux samba server
and ran into similar issues. My problem was the Mac OS didn't respect the
smb.conf settings to force file ownership so I ended up running a cron job
for each group's shared folder chowning and chmoding everything within. I
didn't know about ACLs at the time, but that could work for you.

Why can't all these devices just get along?

Also thanks to Business Solver for hosting and feeding us last meeting!

>The reason for this command is because we have two different OS's running
in the office.  OS X and Windows, Adobe Photoshop creates an issue with
Permissions when a Mac user creates a file.  Only Mac users can open the
file from the server and modify and save changes.  If a Windows user
creates an image file the Mac users cannot save any modifications to that
file directly to the server.  The Mac users have to copy the file to their
desktop, modify, save, and then delete the old file because they don't have
write permissions to replace the existing file.  The same is for PC users
when a file is created by a Mac user.

> This is a known issue with Adobe and their work around doesn't work
because it's PC specific not a Global fix on the server.  I attempted the
work around on the Mac, (Adobe says it's because of Samba) however nothing
has changed.  The Work around didn't work.  The next attempted fix is this
solution.  Running a cron job nightly to find all of the files that the Mac
user (userA) has created and chown those files to a PC user (UserB).  The
Mac user won't need access to these files again after they are created
however PC users do, so this fix would be right for our environment.  And
if the Mac user does need access, then they have to copy the file to their
desktop and create a new one.  Which the nightly cron job will take care of
the permissions.

> I've also thought of changing the permissions inside of fstab to try and
force the gid permissions.  This failed as well because it's not a server
problem.  The Problem is with the Mac's & Adobe.  The gid=grpA,mode=664
didn't work.