[Cialug] Memory leak!

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:39:39 CDT 2012

Thanks, Zach! That looks pretty good, and more varied information than
a plain 'ps -ax'. Any specifics what to look for that would help find
the culprit? Lee noticed the %wa field was an indication something had
gone horribly wrong, but I'm still wondering what to watch for in the
listings. I know how to look for things I'm specifically expecting,
but not how to watch for what I'm not expecting, or how to interpret
surprises.

Can you suggest any good references on how to examine output from top
& ps beyond the man pages, such as practical applications, more
specific recipes and/or more usable generalizations? One goal is
getting a good explanation to pass on to the next user/manager/analyst
that would be better than what Lee & I could write ourselves.

Of course, Lee would like something especially terse and pithy, while
I like to see deeper details leading to novel & original application
of the tools.

--Don Ellis