[Cialug] Secure Linux System

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 21:28:20 CDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Just need a browser, basically. Not sure how LTS would apply? Knoppix
> would be pretty much overkill.
>
> Thinking of something like PuppyLinux, .. but the main problem is how to
> add things like printer drivers.
>
>         Lee

Well, you don't *just* need a browser. It sounds like you need
printing too? If you just needed a browser, any live bootable distro
would work just fine.

Why do you need to print (do you really need dead tree versions)? How
often would you need to reset the system? How many printers? What
brands/models?

Ubuntu Live might work if you don't mind re-configuring CUPS each time
you reset. If the printers don't change much, you could probably
script the commands to add them, too. That would save time after a
reset.

Taking a big step back, what is your use case and requirements? You
started by presenting us with a solution (build a read only linux).
Instead, give us your problem/situation and we may come up with
alternative solutions.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night