[Cialug] Testing Postfix SASL SMTP

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Tue Sep 11 10:37:52 CDT 2012

On 9/11/2012 10:10 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Trying to test an SMTP connection using SASL, .. but I can't figure out
> how to test from the server using the SASL user credentials. Tried the
> local mail command logged in as that user, but it DNW; any pointers?

Do you mean starttls*?

If so, use openssl:

   openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect localhost:25 -quiet

Base64-encode the username and password.  With the openssl-wrapped
connection, issue the ehlo of your choice and then:

auth login
<server will respond with 334 code>
Paste base64-encoded username here
<server will respond with 334 code>
Paste base64-encoded password here
<server should respond with 235 code>

(*If not, then sorry for providing the wrong answer)

-PG