[Cialug] LVM/ext3 problem

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Oct 22 22:10:36 CDT 2012

> Generally speaking resize2fs is not designed to work in the situation
> you describe; when shrinking a file system it expects the underlying
> volume to be at least as large as the current filesystem.

It got into this state after being resized to the size of the failed PV,
and removing the bad PV seems to been successful in the VG, however
nothing seems to work in attempting to correct the size of the file system
itself.

> Did you reduce the size of the volume, or move the filesystem to a
> smaller volume, before the filesystem was resized?

I have no information about the actual failure during resizing, .. just
that the operation failed, so we removed the additional volume using
vgreduce.

Unfortunately, that did not adjust the underlying filesystem. We tried to
fix the old PV, but when we mounted, it showed corrupted, so there was no
way to do an resize2fs on the filesystem with the extra volume in poace.

> Assuming there isn't actually anything useful beyond the current end of
> the volume It's possible the -f flag (force) will allow you to resize
> anyway, . .

DNW, unfortunatley.

> You can also use the `debugfs` tool to directly manipulate the
> filesystem structures, but that's not where I would start if there are
> other options.

Any other options come to mind?

	Thanks!

	Lee