[Cialug] laptop suggestions

PAUL COWLEY pncowley at msn.com
Thu Oct 4 09:53:41 CDT 2012

+1
If you're not going to be using for gaming or anything really system-intensive, pick up a surplus laptop and put the rest of your money back in the bank.  I'm up in Ames, so my local favorite is ISU Surplus (http://www.public.iastate.edu/~centrals/isusurplus.htm) every Wednesday.  Some days the deals are great, other days not so much, but if you ask the manager of the place really nice (think his name is Mark), I've found he'll occasionally knock a few bucks off the price.  You just have to ask.
For about $125, I picked up a last-generation Dell for my daughter a while back.  Came with Ubuntu preloaded and everything working, but you can throw on your distro of choice.  Perfect for a teenager to beat around, and I don't have to feel too bad if it sees a bit of abuse.

Paul.