[Cialug] laptop suggestions

jrnosee jrnosee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:42:45 CDT 2012

I know you said you're not going to game but I wanted to point out one
issue on the email below.  An nVidia chipset normally would improve video,
however most intel based Core i# laptops out today rocking nVidia have the
technology where you can use either the integrated intel graphics OR the
nVidia depending on what you need (intel = lower power consumption and fine
for web browsing, etc, nVidia = higher power usage, good for gaming,
movies, etc).  The problem is, from what I've seen so far in linux if you
have this setup you can't actually access the nVidia chip.  If someone
knows if they've fixed this, or if there's a way to access the nVidia
instead of the intel graphics please let me know.

Also, if you're thinking a tablet w/ LAN & WiFi, I've seen a few, but
they're mostly cheap Chinese tablets.  Most places have WiFi, but if you
know you're going somewhere LAN only, I'd almost suggest buying a portable
pocket router/AP and take it with you.  They make some nice, cheap,
portable routers/wifi bridges, which would also have the added benefit of
having a firewall between you and the rest of the network you're on.