[Cialug] laptop suggestions

Mike mike at linuxlychallenged.org
Thu Oct 4 07:38:59 CDT 2012

Deal sites that can have good laptop prices with a much larger selection.

http://dealnews.com
http://dealnews.com/c49/Computers/Laptops/

http://slickdeals.net/
http://slickdeals.net/deals/computers/

http://www.gottadeal.com/
     -product category Laptops

It really just depends on the day and what you are looking for in your
laptop.

-get a laptop with an Nvidia chipset based video card (even if Linus
flips them the bird occasionally) their graphics acceleration still
seems to be the best
-Intel Core i5 or better (Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge chipset) (recommended)
     -if you spend 500 instead of 350 but, it will still do the things
you want to for an extra year or so it will be a better purchase
amortized over the duration of your ownership
-4GB of RAM (minimum) 8GB of RAM (recommended)
-screen size is totally up to you
     -gaming I recommend 15" or better with a display resolution no
lower than 1650x1080 and preferably HiDef 1920x1080

If you need to go really low budget you can get away with a Core i3
chipset with integrated video card but, games will suffer.
If you want descent gaming performance it really ramps up what you need
to buy.

For example if you just want a working laptop with newer hardware I found:

Lenovo B570 for $277.00

http://slickdeals.net/f/5132456-Lenovo-outlet-laptop-i3-4gb-500gb-277-tax

It has enough to do tons of stuff but, you lose out in a few areas not
just gaming.
If you want to run Virtual Machines I recommend a Core i5 or at a
minimum a processor that will allow you to run 64-bit VMs otherwise you
are stuck running them as 32-bit.
Performance on any graphics like editing, sound editing, or video
editing need the bigger horsepower, RAM, and graphics card upgrade.

-Make a list of the things you absolutely need (minimums) and then
search extensively
-once you find something you think you like google the heck out of it
     -so if I wanted the *Lenovo Z580* my searches would look like

Lenovo Z580 reviews

Lenovo Z580 purchase

Lenovo Z580 review video info

-and so on

Read all the reviews you can find. Several times I was going to buy a
computer or a "whatever" and after reading reviews (from multiple sites)
I learned something about it that killed it for me.
     -youtube review showing horrible build quality
     -bad positioning of keys, crappy keyboards
     -running hot, disabled settings in the BIOS etc...
     -never take only 1 reviewer for gospel find as many as you can

*Note: *
-for Linux compatibility take the hardware specs and research it online
like you would with the reviews for the laptop itself.
     Video Card: Nvidia Chipset Model xYxY111 Linux compatibility
drivers (etc)
-there are plenty of reference sites out there too (many are outdated or
will not provide information specifically on the exact "barn burner" of
a deal you are likely to find at a deal site though

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://www.linux-drivers.org/

I have seen both ZAReason and System76 laptops and was impressed with
their offerings, build quality, and support. However, they are going to
cost you more money and you wont get the
newest form factors *ultrabook etc..

Another thing you can do is look at the hardware offered in the "Linux
compatible" systems and then look for those same hardware models
elsewhere. I did that with my netbook, ZAReason had a netbook fully
Linux compatible for $400, I found an Acer Aspire One D255 on Craigslist
for $175 and if you compare the hardware line by line it was identical.

Brands I have had good Linux compatibility with:
     -Acer, Dell, IBM-Lenovo (ThinkPads) {did have some key mapping
weirdness with the lower-end Lenovos}, higher-end HP's with Intel
processors, high-mid to extremely high-end Sonys

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Mike