[Cialug] shell accounts

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:20:38 CST 2012

I agree that VirtualBox or VMWare Player is probably the easiest way to get
in.

St Louis Unix User Group (SLUUG - http://www.sluug.org) have shell accounts
for our members. It would be very easy to set up a machine (or a VM) on a
system that is always on, establish a no-ip or DynDNS (or other) account to
point to it, and let them have at it. Very safe to let someone have a VM on
your machine - there is no access to anything outside the VM unless you
allow it. Lee has systems available; maybe he could donate some space to
the group. Or anyone else with a personal machine with a permanent
connection.

Or, the person could get a Macintosh running OSX. Older versions can run on
machines dating back to around 2000, and give an excellent BSD-flavored
intro to a Linux-like environment. Like the other machines mentioned, they
can often be found for very little or free. I was recently given a 2006
vintage Intel Core Duo based Mac, through a UG connection. Added an
external drive, and it's a pretty capable little machine. If they already
have access to a recent (post-2000) Mac, they might already have everything
they need.

--Don Ellis