[Cialug] plea for help on Ubuntu 12.10

Ralph Kessel ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 18:42:38 CST 2012

I   upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 to discover that HPLIP does not support my version of hp officejet 6600. I've tried every conceivable method to uninstall, reinstall, install from download, install non-automatic and the message among many is : Unable to open the initial device, quitting.  I and my wife are able to connect wirelessly  to printer from Windows 7.   I was able to connect under 12.04 but for some reason hplip does not like my connection even though my drivers are recognized by my cups 1.6.1.  HP-check -t gives this  warning:
warning: ubuntu-12.10 version is not supported. Using ubuntu-12.04 versions dependencies to verify and install...

Should I reinstall release 12.04  and foreget about 12.10 until they fix this bug?
Ralph Kessel