[Cialug] Luddite SysAdmin

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 10:52:25 CST 2012

The People Who Support Linux: SysAdmin Tony Atkinson Admits to a Luddite Streak

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/200-libby-clark/661722-the-people-who-support-linux-sysadmin-tony-atkinson-admits-a-luddite-streak

Tony Atkinson’s technical expertise runs deep as a Linux systems
administrator for a telecommunications company in Essex, England. He
works with the Asterisk PBX (private branch exchange) and
communications server and Nagios notification system, writing and
maintaining bespoke PHP and shell scripts to control and coordinate
phone and SMS services and other general operations in the U.K.,
U.S.A. and Australia.

“I recently started a long-term project to consolidate our existing
servers (some 30 physical machines), replacing them with
highly-available virtual machines running on six physical hosts via
the KVM hypervisor,” Atkinson said via email.

But he confesses to be a bit of a luddite when it comes to smartphones
and tablets. It’s a contradiction that sometimes confuses his friends
and family who often rely on him for technical support, he says.

“I am quite content with using my 6-year-old Samsung D900 mobile
phone,” he said. “I have no doubt I'll be drawn in sooner or later, at
which point I'll probably opt for Android, or Tizen if it becomes
viable.”

[more...  http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/200-libby-clark/661722-the-people-who-support-linux-sysadmin-tony-atkinson-admits-a-luddite-streak]