[Cialug] Interface Aliases

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu May 31 18:30:43 CDT 2012

On May 31, 2012, at 4:01 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> An "alias" to me is eth0:1, .. ifconfig eth0:1 (as in the config).

Yeah, if you use the old tools they're still named like secondary interfaces, and the deviceType#:# naming is enforced for backwards compatibility, if you use tools that care about names (the kernel doesn't). And lots of people still talk about aliases, so I don't mean to call you out on it.

My point is just that the new tools and the kernel treat all addresses the same no matter how many you've got. So there aren't any special gotchas anymore with routing or the like, and you can do things like this:
	ip addr add 1.1.1.1/24 dev eth0
	ip addr add 2.2.2.2/24 dev eth0
	ip addr add 3.3.3.3/24 dev eth0
	ip addr del 1.1.1.1/24 dev eth0
that would not be possible under the old primary-alias model.

	Zach