[Cialug] Home music

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue May 22 19:15:31 CDT 2012

On May 22, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Josh More wrote:

> understanding that only the server in the basement will be
> "master", and all other units will slave off the master's metadata DB.

If by "slave" you mean "running multiple XBMC instances against the same media on a shared shared disk" and "only one XBMC will have write access to the database" this should be fine. But last I checked XBMC had no support for a client-server setup -- that's one of the major changes in Plex.

If you're not happy with the state of the Plex client on your desired output platform you can use XBMC as a client for a Plex server via the PleXBMC plugin. And as of 0.9.6.1 you can use Plex as a DNLA server as well.

	Zach