[Cialug] Do you wish you were a web programmer?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu May 17 10:59:57 CDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Aaron Korver <aaron.korver at gmail.com>wrote:

> While I'm sure the idea is great, one should look at the counter argument
> to your idea....
>
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/05/please-dont-learn-to-code.html

That article got pretty well beat up. Here is one counter-article:

http://sachagreif.com/please-learn-to-code/

I think Jeff's poorly made point is that if you want to learn to code for
fun or profit, learn to code. However, learning to code is not a skill that
everyone needs. To make this more clear, I hear some advocating that every
person should learn to code. I think that makes as much sense as the OLPC
premise that everyone's life will be better if they have a computer.

If you are a technical person who uses a computer as a significant part of
their daily work then you will probably benefit by knowing some coding.
Even if it's just Excel's VBA.

More and more, the lingua franca is Javascript and the other technologies
that make the web work. (rumor has it that the next version of Office will
use JS) Web programming is becoming an increasingly important skill.

I will rest my case with this classic piece by Dilber's creator, Scott
Adams: Computer users are the new sex symbols of the '90s:
http://www.ladybear.com/dilbert.html

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I'm doing some market research on an idea I have. If you are not
> > really a web programmer and sometimes wish you were, would you please
> fill
> > out my survey? It has only 8 questions and should take just a moment:
> >
> > http://goo.gl/OQVZ6
> >
> > I greatly appreciate your time and your feedback!
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Nuzum
> > newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin and twitter
> >
> > ♫ You're never fully dressed without a smile! ♫

Matthew Nuzum