[Cialug] Linux on locked machines

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Tue May 15 17:27:15 CDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 05:16:11PM -0500, Todd Walton wrote:
> On May 15, 2012 4:01 PM, "Nicolai" <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 03:46:08PM -0500, Todd Walton wrote:
> > > I am also frustrated to no end with Unity.  I suppose I'm not the target
> > > audience, though.
> >
> > Which window manager(s) do you like better?
>
> I always liked KDE, but I jumped ship when 4 struck.
>
> So... whatever window manager KDE uses.

Given your frustration with Unity and distaste for KDE's changes, it
would be worth exploring alternatives.  And with lightweight window
managers it's easy to drop in new ones to test.

If you search for lightweight window managers you'll get a bunch of
articles.  I'd recommend blackbox.  blackbox uses essentially no
resources and keeps your screen open (so you can actually work).  Has
some nice features too.

Something like

sudo apt-get install blackbox
echo "exec blackbox" > ~/.xinitrc

Then start X with the normal startx -- -nolisten tcp

Not sure how this works if you use xdm but it can't be difficult to
change.

The config file is in something like /usr/local/share/blackbox/menu

Try it!

Nicolai