[Cialug] Well "put together" Linux distros?

Prescott Kulow scott.kulow at gmail.com
Sat May 12 14:13:35 CDT 2012

If you want something "simple", I'd recommend Slackware.  The startup
scripts are very simple, the packages are hardly ever modified from the
actual upstream packages.  The packages themselves are just tarballs,
rather than a complicated package system.  It's about as close to a
"pure Linux", i.e no vendor specific changes, as you can get.  That
being said, I'd hate to have to admin more than a few Slackware boxes.
It's simple design makes it more work to keep up to date than something
like Ubuntu or RedHat.