[Cialug] Ubuntu 12.04

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Sat May 12 13:55:56 CDT 2012

I have had similar issues.  Something about the update manager upgrade caused the unity bar to be disabled, so all I had on my screen was my icons.  Right-clicking gave me the context menu that was completely useless, except that it allowed me to create a new empty file.  I created a new file, wrote a quick bash script that basically did nothing but open gnome-terminal for me (because I don't know any of the keyboard shortcuts, many of which were probably disabled, anyway).  I opened a terminal window, and ran ccsm (compiz config settings manager, I think?), and found that almost every module was disabled.  I had to set unity back up from scratch (then I found the option to enable all standard settings, but I'm not sure if it would have worked).

I did have to set the sidebar so that it is always visible, because it would not open when I put the mouse on the left side of the screen.  There is an option to force the bar to show itself when you hold down the "windows key" (meta key?), but it acts funny and I can't handle its unpredictable nature.

Everything seems to be working correctly at this point, but it was a night worth of annoyance that you may not want to go through.  My suggestion, if you are planning to upgrade, would be to use apt-get from the command-line rather than the upgrade manager.  If anyone runs the upgrade from command-line, would you let us know how things turn out?

-- Matt

Sent from my ASUS Transformer