[Cialug] Linux on Locked Machines

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri May 11 13:43:29 CDT 2012

Funny-  15 years ago I would have been right behind you working on a way to get Linux on there.   In fact, I did it myself and my newbie self discovered how exciting rm -rf can be (true story!)  Now I fight with people literally every day wanting to load crap "just because".  (The instant gratification factor of "APPS" is killing any respect I.T. ever had.)

Depending on how locked down the machine is, (BIOS and all?) I wonder about running Linux off a USB key.  I put a Debian variant on an 8GB usb key and had good performance.

The better choice is probably to keep your job and use some funds to buy a machine you can do whatever you want to with.  Both IBM/Lenovo and Apple offer good deals on refurbs and Lenovo/IBM has good deals on off-lease machines.  Others like Dell probably do something similar.

-Nate