[Cialug] cygwin implications and concerns?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu May 10 16:57:39 CDT 2012

On Thu, 10 May 2012, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with any security or stability implications to running Cygwin on Windows 7?

How about Server 2008?

> Does the Windows 7 networking level control access to Cygwin?

Windows had not access to Cygwin.

> Do the Cygwin processes create a drain on the machine?

No more than a standard application.

> Is the Cygwin subsystem always active, or only when used?

Only when the Cygwin dll is loaded. to Windoze, it's just another
application. The only 'hook' that I have use is Cygrunsrv.exe, which can
access the listed services.

> It has been a long time since I installed Cygwin and I'd like to hear
> from folks with experience or expertise.

We use it all the time to support reverse ssh tunnels & admin access to
remote machines [behind firewalls].

It can be a bit tricky getting a Cygwin service registered properly to
autostart (a la AutoSSH), but if you need any tips for that contact me
offline.

	Lee