[Cialug] Networks service detection/configuration

Jim Popken stuff at jscada.com
Fri Mar 2 08:43:34 CST 2012

Hello all

I have been lurking on the list for about a month now and have enjoyed
learning from the questions.

I have portable linux box application that needs to be a server with DNS
and dhcp when it is "isolated" and use the a corporate network's DNS and
dhcp server when it is a connected to the corporate network. "Isolated" for
example would be a two node network with only a linux box and windows
laptop. The linux box needs to detect and configure itself with no user
interaction at the time of system boot up. It should be able to connect to
an arbitrary corporate network without user input.

In short I think I need to have a network port do:

1. Detect if there is a DNS server available and if not start it's own DNS
server.
2. Detect if there is a dhcp server available and if not start it's own
dhcp server.

Any guidance on how to configure a linux box (ubuntu 10)  do this would be
appreciated.

Jim Popken

--
920 Clark Avenue