[Cialug] I'm teaching a web dev class this summer

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jun 19 16:33:29 CDT 2012

Hey everyone, many of you know I love to teach. I've been mentoring people
who want to learn web development for several years now, one on one. I've
decided to take it to the next level and this summer I'll be teaching an
online class.

Unlike most virtual class rooms, everyone will get one-on-one time with a
mentor. I think this is key because, as those of you who know web
development can attest, there is a lot to learn at the beginning. It's
tough to know which pieces to learn first, second or third and when you get
stuck it can be a real pain getting help because you don't even really know
how to ask.

The class I'm teaching, with the assistance of a colleague, will begin July
9th. Classes will be held Monday and Thursday evenings with several other
times throughout the week to connect with mentors. Mentoring will be via
Skype so that you can share your screen and walk through your problems
easily. You'll need to allocate 6-8 hours per week to succeed.

We'll cover HTML5, CSS, basic Javascript/jQuery and basic server side
development, focusing on the principles of MVC using Python and Django.
We'll be focusing on the concepts of server side development in a way that
you can easily take what you know and switch to Ruby on Rails, .Net or PHP
if you prefer.

I've built a website to for this project called www.OtherLearners.com and
you can go there to find details.

If you are interested, please feel free to contact me either through the
form on that site or via email.

If you or someone you know signs up, make sure to mention CIALUG and I'll
discount the price by $150.

--
Matthew Nuzum