[Cialug] Home internet speed

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Jun 8 10:09:09 CDT 2012

I currently have DSL at 3 Mpbs down, 892 kbps up. I'd like higher upload
speed, but my DSL provider can't do it. I live just a couple blocks from
the phone switching office on 42nd Street, so distance shouldn't be a
problem. But since my ISP says they can't increase my upload speed (they
*can* increase my download speed though), then i'm guessing it is a
problem with DSL technology.

Why can't DSL upload speeds go faster? Are there any other internet
services that can provide a static, routable IP and achieve faster
upload speeds?

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu