[Cialug] OT - maybe - out-going e-mail address blacklist ???

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Tue Jul 24 15:58:28 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 02:31:08AM -0500, Rob Miller wrote:

> I'm thinking this might be described as an out-going blacklist or a
> reverse blacklist.

Yeah, this is possible in qmail with a small patch and Postfix may have
similar capability.  Exim and Sendmail almost surely do -- they support
everything (including remote attackers).

In qmail one of said patches is known as badrcptto.  I've never used it.

As others have noted some firewalls can do string matching.  Linux can,
in addition to those already mentioned.

> I'm thinking that this might be of interest to info security managers
> and paranoid corporate types

Not really

> Maybe a government organization would want to prevent an employee from
> sending messages to jassaunge at wikidrips.org

Once we're talking about preventing journalism aimed at informing the
public of government action, especially of crime and corruption, then
it's definitely no longer under the "cool idea" column.

> An even cooler concept would be some type of routing code that could be
> added to a message as it was leaving its home network that would prevent
> anyone from forwarding the message to specific addresses.

Not possible but it would make a Hollywood movie plot device.

Hugh Jackman: Impossible -- the message has been tagged!  Maybe if I had
a month I could rot13 this paragraph

John Travolta: (Interrupting) Well too bad for you, you only have 30
seconds or you're gonna diiieeee

[ Anonymous lady chosen for her cup size enters the scene ]

Maybe once they figure out how to sequester DVD content they can expand
into plaintext.

Nicolai