[Cialug] Don't do this...

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jul 23 16:25:42 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Don Ellis wrote:
>
> > What VM tool(s) are you currently using/prefer? Lee and I have been
> > using VirtualBox, but starting to consider switching to Xen (at least
> > for some applications). Each has benefits and restrictions. I think
> > any VM tool will call for some kind of compromise (including having to
> > pay for it ;-) ).
>

> For individual installations I use qemu (which uses KVM). I use it
> directly, but I'm a control freak; I'm sure there are wrappers to make it
> more friendly. I like it because KVM is part of the kernel mainline so it's
> easy to keep all the drivers (host and optional guest) up-to-date,
> particularly if you're running linux guests. And qemu runs as a normal,
> non-privileged, userland process, which lets you use all of the standard
> linux tools and techniques for management on the host side.
>
> I've never setup any significant multi-host VM system, so I don't have any
> recommendation on that front.

Like you, I use KVM/QEMU (for headless machines). I use VirtualBox on my
laptop simply because the graphical UI makes taking snapshots and such very
easy.

A nice UI for KVM is virt manager. It has a gui interface and also a shell
interface virsh. I've tried running VirtualBox on a headless machine but
you quickly realize it wasn't designed to be used this way as its main
interface. Supposedly if you compile virt manager properly, it can manage
VBox guests as well. It can also manage Xen guests.

--
Matthew Nuzum