[Cialug] firewall / router recommendations

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jul 17 17:07:21 CDT 2012

They pretty much all have wifi these days but they all can be turned off
too. I have the Linksys E2500 which I'll recommend for a few reasons:

1. Setup is easy
2. IPv6 out of the box is cake. Just sign up for a tunnel broker and you'll
have IPv6 on your network in 15 min or less.
3. It has IPv6 firewall built in and easily configurable.
4. Fast. Handles many open streams and connections without problem. I've
had cheaper routers that overheat and shut down when you push them.
5. Built in support for dynamic dns

Something you don't care about:
6. Good, affordable, dual band wfi
7. Easy guest network setup so that visitors can get on wifi without
accessing your computers.

It does *not* work with dd-wrt though.

One thing I consider a down-side is that there is a limit to the number of
portforwarding assignments you can handle. (about 20)

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM, <ng0g at mchsi.com> wrote:

> CIALUG,
>
> I am thinking seriously of replacing my aging home Linksys
> firewall/router, and looking for recommendations.  I don't need wireless as
> I have shielded cat5 running everywhere, even out to my garage.  Although I
> don't care if what ever I get has it as long as I can turn it off.
>
> Steve
>
> Steve Hawkins NG0G
> 73 49 111 01001001

Matthew Nuzum