[Cialug] Question

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:59:49 CST 2012

Yeah, you probably need to narrow it down further. Your original
question was kind of like asking, "I'm buying an average car. How much
should I expect to spend on fuel and maintenance every year?" If you
park it in the garage and never drive it, next to nothing. If you
drive it 8 to 10 hours every day, quite a bit. If you are maintaining
a fleet of them. . .

The amount of space, bandwidth, redundancy, number of servers, server
roles, etc. required will drive the cost of what your 'average' server
farm requires in terms of care and feeding. I don't really think there
is such a thing as an average server farm, really. You need a use
case.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night