[Cialug] RH pty #s

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Jan 25 22:43:40 CST 2012

On Jan 25, 2012, at 4:13 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> I tested on SuSE 11.4 and the next login session received the next *available* pty

That's what you should see on modern linux kernels; AFAIK there are no userland options to override that behavior. But I couldn't tell you what constitutes modern other than "2.6.33.2 or later", as that's the oldest kernel I have available for easy testing.

I'm also not positive a PTY close is atomic with respect to the same PTY becoming available for reuse, though I suspect it is, or that it's so close that it's hard to trigger other behavior.

	Zach