[Cialug] OT: buying a phone number

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Jan 13 12:21:27 CST 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 10:00 AM, David Bierce wrote:

> I have found most national VOIP providers don't offer service on numbers in an Iowa exchange.  I'm not sure who the backbone provider for Vitelity and Velocity

Until recently you could only get numbers in a handful of IA exchanges even with Vitelity or Bandwidth.com or the like. And those exchanges were in the middle of nowhere (presumably to collect the higher termination fees) and had regularly overloaded links -- I often had calls to my IA DIDs fail because the PSTN couldn't connect to the PSTN->VoIP gateway sitting in a corn field somewhere.

Not that I have anything against corn fields, they just aren't well-known for the network connectivity.

It looks like there are more options now on Vitelity, so something has changed with them, but it doesn't surprise me at all that you're having trouble finding a national provider that's tied into the IA phone network.

	Zach