[Cialug] OT: buying a phone number

Pixel // pinterface pix at kepibu.org
Thu Jan 12 17:25:39 CST 2012

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> I'm playing with Twilio, which is a pretty sweet service.
> Unfortunately they have no 515 area code phone numbers, but they say
> you can buy one from another carrier and then port it over to them
> [1]. Does anyone know how you buy a phone number? Can I just call
> Qwest and order one? ...

Dave's "pizza and beer" is probably your cheapest option, but I do know
Qwest also has a forwarding-only service you can get which is both
cheaper and faster to activate than an actual physical line because they
don't have to send a guy out to hook up wires.

Unfortunately, I've tossed my notes from when I did that a year or two
ago, and I don't recall the naming specifics--but it was the Qwest rep
who suggested it when I said I wanted to buy service to port to Twilio,
so I don't imagine they'll give you too much trouble if you explain what
you're looking for.