[Cialug] VMware install on Ubuntu 10.04 issue

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Sun Jan 8 13:42:04 CST 2012

I would recommend using something other than VMWare Server if possible.  I
have it installed on an Ubuntu machine at work, and have had a lot of
problems with it.  The latest problem is in a VM.  I installed Ubuntu 11.10
on a VM (so I could check it out before I installed it).  I'm having
problems with the mouse in the VM.  The mouse is so bad, I have a very
difficult time launching anything.  The problem before this one, when I
upgraded the root OS to the latest Ubuntu LTS, I had to find a patch to get
VMWare to work at all.  And every time there's a kernel update, I have to
re-configure VMWare so it will run.  It has been a bigger pain than I
thought it would be.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM, jrnosee <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do a search on this line:
> /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-
> only/linux/driver.c:2007: error: too many arguments to function
> ‘smp_call_function’
>
> or this line
>
> Unable to build the vmmon module.
>
> and the ubuntu version you're working with.  I had this problem once too.
> Can't remember the exact fix, but I think there's a patch you have to
> install.
>
> VMWare server's getting out of date and doesn't seem to have support
> anymore.  I'm still looking for a good alternative with a web console and
> auto-startup features.

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/