[Cialug] Home music

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Jan 4 15:42:02 CST 2012

I bought into the slimserver squeezebox system several years ago.  I have a VIA machine running what is now called the "Logitech Media Server" software, formerly squeeze server formerly slimserver, etc. running on Debian.  I believe It is largely written in Perl.  It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux for now.

Many devices are available that can stream from the server as a source.  The content of the streams can be controlled from the server (for mixes, shuffle,  playlists, etc.)  The server can be controlled via the web, apps for IOS and Android, and hardware from Logitech.  I can also run vlc and other such programs and stream to them.  I have also had success streaming to chumby devices and other "things" such as mythTV, etc.  I have even streamed to VLC running over LTSP as you suggest you had working.  I have also used slimserver to stream music on hold to Asterisk for kicks.

I also run a firefly media server on the same device that makes my music library (though not the actual files) available to play via iTunes.

I picked up some of the older slim devices for playback on eBay.  I have them in bedrooms and what not, I like that they can display the temperature and time with NTP accuracy.

I found an old Stereo FM transmitter on eBay and used a Linksys NSLU2, an audio USB dongle and command line audio software in Debian (I can't remember which one) to stream directly to the Radio.  I could tune in the station immediately around my house.  I needed some way to throw in an automated station identification and I would have been all set.  It lacked a bit in audio quality.

-Nate