[Cialug] Home music

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Tue Jan 3 20:30:23 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 07:56:01PM -0600, Josh More wrote:
> I'm at the point where I need to find a better solution for listening
> to music throughout the house.  I used to use LTSP so I could have
> fanless / no hard drive boxes serving as clients, but LTSP has become
> progressively more annoying to use.  I was thinking that there might
> be a "standard" solution, but most of what I've found seems to be
> overkill.
>
> Here are the requirements:
>
> * Light enough to run on a fanless box. I have two VIA systems that
> I'd like to use.  I can probably toss a low-end SSD (or SD card
> reader) for local storage.
> * Supports playlists by playing in random order
> * Supports playing folders in random order
> * Runs headless... ideally with an Android app interface option.

I'm using Music Player Daemon.  I have it running on my headless
workstation, and then stream vorbis or mp3 via http to wherever
I'm actually listening to it.  (It has an internal http streaming
server, as well as the ability to push to a real Icecast server.)
It can also playback directly to an audio device.

There are various frontend clients for it, including CLI, curses,
XUL, and Android.

You might need to investigate it a bit though, I'm not sure it
handles playing folders in random order quite the way you're
looking for.

	Jonathan Kollasch