[Cialug] Help finding file?

Nathaniel Petersen major.stubble at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:20:50 CST 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Josh More <jmore at starmind.org> wrote:

> It's worth noting that, while "find" is on every *nix system I've
> used, "find -iname" is not.  I believe that that that option, like
> "grep -i" is a GNU extension.
>
> Just so people aren't surprised when things fail on that HPUX box that
> they're suddenly required to administer.
>
> -Josh

This is also true on Solaris boxes.  I find that basic pattern expressions
work well in most *nix systems.  This allows you to supply the upper and
lower case for what you are searching for like so:

Example:

cthulu at rlyeh:/tmp> ls
JDK_6u16       o27438029.out  test.OuT       test.OUT       test.t
cthulu at rlyeh:/tmp> find . -name \*\.[Oo][Uu][Tt]\*
./o27438029.out
./test.OuT
./test.OUT

I find, though, that the GNU-based find utilities are exceptionally useful.
 So, for myself, I include the CSWfindutils package on all my Solaris
installs.  This provides me with /opt/csw/bin/gfind
and /opt/csw/bin/glocate.

-Nick