[Cialug] Help finding file?

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 15:53:37 CST 2012

The grep is not necessary; it can be included in the find command itself:

    find / -name \*partial_name\*

That last element (the -name field) accepts a number of shell pattern
matching characters (not a regex, but good enough for most file name
patterns).

>From the find man page:

     -name pattern
             True if the last component of the pathname being examined matches
             pattern.  Special shell pattern matching characters (``['', ``]'',
             ``*'', and ``?'') may be used as part of pattern.  These characters
             may be matched explicitly by escaping them with a
backslash (``\'').

There are some other options visible on the man page. -exec allows
executing a command on each item found, -ls produces a listing much
like 'ls -l'.

--Don Ellis