[Cialug] laptop wifi

chris rheinherren c.rheinherren at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:50:56 CST 2012

i have a perplexing problem with my latop.

i an running ubuntu 10.04 LTS. i can connect to my home network just fine.
but i am unable to connect to any other wifi connection. even ones that are
completely open, such as those public networks at coffee shops and the
like. the computer will see the wifi connection but we asked to connect to
it. it does not.

this is using just the gui connection and the nm-applet in the gnome panel.
it will show a connection attempt but fail. and after 3 or 4 attempts the
nm-applet will just stop running and disappear from the gnome panel until
called up again.

any help would be great.

thanks

chris