[Cialug] help with ubuntu 11.10

Ralph Kessel ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 13:47:20 CST 2012

I need help with two distinct problems with my installation of Ubuntu 11.10:

1. It refuses to provide a screen resolution greater than 640 x 480 even though I got it to boot in grub with the higher pixel rate. Neither my NVIDIA app or the screen  app recognize my Dell E176FP at a higher screen resolution.  My windows partition works fine. As you might expect the low screen resolution is annoying.

2. I down loaded  the gzip package from Lexmark and followed procedure to a "t" but although my LEXMARK 3600-4650 printer is recognized that "bird won't hunt."  I just hangs up with an error message.

These are two distinct issues and would appreciate your assistance.

Tried to install Linux mint and got similar results. Is it my monitor? printer?

Worked well with ubuntu 10.04 until they tried to upgrade the sucker and it went to hell in a basket

Thanks,
Ralph