[Cialug] How do you find when a program is used during init?

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 13:18:32 CST 2012

I believe xargs would be mildly more efficient in this case ;-)

$ find /etc -type f | xargs grep -Hi ntpdate

I believe this is because xargs will execute grep once for a large
number of files, while -exec executes once per file, spawning a new
process.

It's a minor point, but I so rarely get to share it....

Yes, I am a huge nerd. Why do you ask?

Jeff