[Cialug] Good uses for smaller disks?

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 20:39:33 CST 2012

> The overall impression I'm getting is that being clever and incorporating them into the storage pool somehow (either points 2 or 3) is a recipe for unneeded complexity and problems.
I disagree and in fact was going to vote for #3.
Part of it is -vvv

> I still remember when 5Gb of storage was a lot so discarding effectively 400G of storage feels so wasteful. I have a usb case that I'll
I also remember this, and hate waste. It is Illogical to discard of
perfectly usable items. (don't get me started on our throw away
culture..)
Anyway, throw together a Freenas/nexenta/etc box for 'slow' or
'archive' data from the one you're decommissioning. The only downsides
are the minimal time to do so, electric cost to keep it running,
and/or co-lo cost (you haven't said where these are).
Also, +1 to Nicolai's mention of keeping them around for "just in case".

> Yes, recycling them by donating/selling/etc would be nice but I don't have high confidence that I can securely wipe the data without
> significant effort. I don't own any assault rifles and I don't think shooting them with the airsoft pistol will have any where near the same
Do you want them recyclable/donate-able, or destroyed? I second DBAN,
but raise it butane tourch, backyard grill, etc method of heating the
platters until they change color.

> The clock face idea is awesome, I wonder if I can make the hands look like the read/write heads...
I bet you can. :)

Don