[Cialug] Moving from 3ware RAID to standard disk

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Dec 19 19:13:06 CST 2012

On Dec 19, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> I have a machine running on a 3ware PATA mirror that I would like to move to just a standard SATA disk.  I have a running configuration I want to keep, I'd just like to run it faster on a newer machine.   I expect that if I just dd the disk from the 3ware machine to another disk I will would up with something that will not boot.  The machine in question is Debian Squeeze.  See my fdisk-l output below.
>
> Has anyone done something like this before that can outline a procedure I might follow to accomplish what I want to do?   I suppose I could try dd and then a rescue disk, but I was hoping for a better approach or more obvious approach.  Maybe I am overthinking the situation?

I wouldn't expect `dd` to give you any problems. Typically modern linux distros install exactly the same base OS for an entire platform class (i.e. x86, x86_64, etc.) and auto-detect everything else at runtime. Obviously you'll need to install any non-stock drivers on the new hardware, but there shouldn't be anything that keeps you from booting unless you need support for a disk interface that isn't in the stock kernel (which you won't for most motherboard SATA interfaces).

You will need to be sure your /etc/fstab and boot loader know where the physical disk is, but it looks like you're already at /dev/sda1 on the old machine, so that should not be a problem. If you have reason to suspect the new disk will not be at /dev/sda1 just mount the new disk while it's attached to the old machine and change /etc/fstab and your boot loader config after `dd` finishes.

	Zach