[Cialug] debian update issues

Dan Hockey icepuck3k at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 18:48:04 CST 2012

this problem started with a debian squeeze based box running open media vault not making a connection with the debian servers. So...thinking I mucked up something I reinstalled and ran apt-get update and it pulled down several updates. Then two days later I tried to install some other software and nothing worked-couldn't connect

So I dug out another box that had squeeze and tried apt-get update and the same thing.

today I installed wheezy on my beagle bone and got the same
here's the output from this last attempt with wheezy.....

[sudo] password for debian:
Err http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy InRelease

Err http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy Release.gpg
  Could not resolve 'ftp.us.debian.org'
Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/InRelease

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/Release.gpg  Could not resolve 'ftp.us.debian.org'

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
debian at arm:~$