[Cialug] services that use tunneling

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Dec 9 20:41:50 CST 2012

One of my favorite techniques is to use the -D option for ssh, which lets you create a SOCKS proxy server. If you use Firefox then you can use the foxyproxy module to create rules for when to use the tunnel.

For example, I have a test server without a public IP address. I can then use:

ssh gateway.server -D 12345

Then I can create a rule for foxyproxy so that http://private-server.dev/ should be proxied through localhost:12345

I just have to remember to do the ssh command before I try the web host.