[Cialug] Dumb. Dumb Security.

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Aug 20 16:10:32 CDT 2012

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Todd Walton wrote:

> I'm a techie, but not a security expert... but since when did this
> magically encrypted Internet exist?  I'm being flippant.  But in all
> seriousness, have things changed that much?

They aren't talking about *Internet* security, rather Google/Gmail and a
lot of other email systems default to TLS, which sends email via SSL
connection and is fairly secure.

A normal connection to gmail uses TLS, .. and if you pull email FROM Gmail
you have to use TLS. If you use the web UI, it's your choice to use https.

	Lee