[Cialug] Open source DNS software dominates

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Mon Aug 6 21:47:02 CDT 2012

On 2012.08.06 19:14, Nicolai wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 07:08:44PM -0500, Pixie wrote:
>> NSD is used by at least one member of the CIALUG list (me!), but not in
>> a way that will show up in your stats--it's a hidden master.  I pay
>> somebody else to slave my zones, so I get all the niceties of running my
>> own server, with none of the drawbacks of having it open to the 'net.
>> But, similar to how lighttpd or nginx might get the stats when sitting
>> in front of Apache, it means BIND gets the stats rather than NSD.
>
> Cool.  What are your thoughts on NSD?

Ever since they fixed it so zone files don't have to specify $ORIGIN (a
feature of BIND I used quite often to define multiple identically shaped
zones with a single file and sorely missed from NSD), I basically
haven't thought about NSD at all.

Which isn't half bad a recommendation, actually.  It's stable, gets the
job done, hasn't caused me a single headache I can recall, and is
readily configured in a way that works well for me.

Of course, given that only five IPs on the 'net have access to it, I'm
not exactly pushing the limits.  I wouldn't really be thinking about
BIND in the same situation, either.